dimanche 30 décembre 2012

Scene of the grime

While the interior of our house is now more or less complete, the exterior is another story -- a recent chapter of which I am not proud.

One dark and rainy night shortly before Christmas I came home laden with parcels to discover our house completely inaccessible.  It seems the pool company had finally sent its crew to pour the promised concrete around our future lap pool and also create a set of steps leading from the car port to the deck. The cement was still wet (as a tentative toe tap confirmed) and the yard, after two weeks of rain, a sea of mud.



Seeing no other option, I donned a pair of rubber boots and grabbed my various bags to trudge the several meters through the mud. In a cartoon moment, half way through my trek I  sank knee deep and quite literally got stuck in the mud -- no matter how I tried, my feet would not budge in the sludge. The only way out was to abandon the rubber boots.  My leather ankle boots (brand new Navyboot, alas!) also sunk in and stuck.

At that point I had no choice but to leave all footwear behind and wade to the safe haven of the deck in my stocking feet. I emerged like some sort of sea creature, muddy from the waist down, trailing my dirt-drenched shopping bags and purse. In the morning, the cement had dried and we were able to recover both sets of boots. These are all that remain of my great adventure.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire